Note: Aaron has posted that Adobe has released the customisation wizard for Acrobat Reader 9 and has updated his excellent post on deploying Acrobat Reader 9 with this new information.
To perform a silent install of Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0, follow these steps:
1. Download the install file from Adobe here .
2. Run the installer, and wait until the setup dialog appears asking you for a destination folder to install to.
3. Leave that dialog open, and in Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\usernamel\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Setup Files\READER9 . This contains the extracted setup files you will need for silent installs.
4. Copy the files to another location, and cancel the open dialog box.
5. Now to perform a silent install using whatever deployment tool you wish (eg GPO, SMS, SCCM, SCE) you simply execute the MSI with the usual “quiet” switches, eg…
msiexec /qb /i AcroRead.msi
ADM Template for Acrobat Reader 9
If you’re performing a deployment to a business network you might find this ADM handy. It lets you control three behaviours of Reader 9 for which I find the default settings annoying:
- automatic updates
- EULA on first run
- browser integration
Download it here: (link removed, see below) (7296 downloads)
Note: Aaron has created a much more comprehensive ADM that you can download over at his site.