Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4

    Question OWA is failing when DAG failover occurred...

    Hi,

    I have an Exchange 2010 with CAS, HT and MBX in site A and Exchange 2010 with CAS, HT and MBX in Site B. I have an active directory server in each site in the same forest. Both exchange servers are Internet facing and i am having problems when the dag is occurring.

    When I restarted exchange in site A, the database failed over to site B and MAPI connections are working ok, but OWA and active sync are not working. What configuration do i missed.

    I am not using load balancing because we dont have budget to get it, so we will be doing manual DNS change in CAS-Array record for MAPI connections, but for OWA i dont what i need to do. When the failover happen, and i type the mail.mydomain.com\owa, i received the message: "A server configuration change is temporarily preventing access to your account. Please close all Web browser windows and try again in a few minutes. If the problem continues, contact your helpdesk"

    In our DNS server, i have the following records:

    mail.mydomain.com -> exchange-siteA
    CAS-Array -> exchange-siteA [This is the manual change i need to do. In a failover, i pointed to exchange-siteB]

    CAS Seetings in Exchange-SiteA
    internal URL -> exchange-siteA.mydomain.com
    external URL -> mail.mydomain.com

    CAS Seetings in Exchange-SiteB
    internal URL -> exchange-siteB.mydomain.com
    external URL -> mail.mydomain.com

    I dont want to do proxying because i want to have site B ready in case Site A is completely down.

    Any suggestions about how to fix my problem.

    thank you!

  2. #2
    Exchange Server Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,272
    At the time the problem is occuring is the SiteA Exchange server up or down?

    Are you publishing mail.mydomain.com via an ISA or TMG server? If so which site are you publishing it to?

    Frankly I would remove the external URL from SiteB when SiteA is in normal operations and let it do proxying. If there is a full SiteA outage it is pretty simple to re-add the external back onto the OWA virtual directory at SiteB.
    Paul Cunningham
    Exchange Server MVP
    MCTS/MCITP Exchange Server 2007/2010

    Website: ExchangeServerPro.com
    Connect: Twitter | Google+ | Linkedin

  3. #3
    Exchange Server Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,272
    Ok so I tested this out, and I don't think its going to work the way you've got it now.

    To get mine working I did the following:

    On SiteA CAS:
    - set internal and external URLs
    - set OWA authentication to forms-based (this bit probably doesn't matter)

    On SiteB CAS:
    - set internal URL *only*
    - set OWA authentication to Integrated Windows

    With that configuration I was able to switchover a database from SiteA to SiteB, and after a wait of 30 seconds or so OWA worked fine from both SiteA and SiteB computers, via the external URL.
    Paul Cunningham
    Exchange Server MVP
    MCTS/MCITP Exchange Server 2007/2010

    Website: ExchangeServerPro.com
    Connect: Twitter | Google+ | Linkedin

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your quick reply! I am trying to make it work with siteA completely down.

    I will test without external URL in site B and I let you know the results in my side.

    Thanks aga

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    Hi Paul,

    I tried with the settings you provided me and it worked from Site B computers(We are using different subnets in Site A and Site B). I tried to access mail.mydomain.com from site A computers and i received the following error: The mailbox you're trying to access isn't currently available. If the problem continues, contact your helpdesk.

    Question on site B CAS: Do i need to change the ECP autorization?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    I just noticed that i am not running the same exchange version in my servers. I will be updating/testing tonigh and i let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help paul.
    "Client Access server "https://cas1.mydomain.com/owa", running Exchange version "14.2.247.5", is proxying Outlook Web App traffic to Client Access server "cas2.mydomain.com", which runs Exchange version "14.2.283.3". To ensure reliable interoperability, the proxying Client Access server needs to be running a newer version of Exchange than the Client Access server it is proxying to. If the proxying Client Access server is running a newer version of Exchange than the Client Access server it is proxying to, the proxying Client Access server needs to have an Outlook Web App resource folder (for example, "<Exchange Server installation path&gt\ClientAccess\owa\8.0.498.0" that contains all the same versioned resource files as the Client Access server it is proxying to. If you will be running Outlook Web App proxying with mismatched server versions, you can manually copy this resource folder to the proxying Client Access server. After you copy this resource folder to the proxying Client Access server, you need to restart IIS before proxying will work."

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 AM. Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 vBulletin skins by CompleteVB